Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ugly bread


It was bread baking day today. We go through about 2 loaves a week at our house. The twins have been on a diet for the past 4 months that eliminates preservatives and artificial colors and flavorings, so I began making my own bread. I have been experimenting with the ratio of white to wheat and still want to try to add more and more wheat. I've never tried flax or spelt, but I think I might break down and buy my own grinder, so I can grind it fresh right before I make the dough. So far, I haven't had any bad loaves, just ugly ones. For the life of me, I cannot make a nicely shaped loaf. I also can't slice it. I hack away until I get one or two slices I can used for the twins sandwiches. I may get more practice this week, since a half of a loaf was eaten right out of the oven when the boys got home from school today.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia - I've been wanting a wheat grinder for a while now. Many of my neighbors back home make their own bread and it is the best bread I've ever had and soooo healthy. They swear by the quality grinder they use (which is $500). You could talk to our beloved Debbie or Natalie who I think you may remember from class. She also swears by a bread slicer - a standing form that you put the bread in and cut into it along the slots. The price of bread these days is actually making that $500 look more appealing! Especially when you factor in the health benefits. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for the grinder! I'm sure with all the baking you do, you would put it to good use. I get much better slices when I use an electric knife.

    ReplyDelete