Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mrs. Wilkinson


Thurs. afternoons I volunteer in Abby's class. She has the same teacher, Mrs. Wilkinson, that Ben and Nate had many years ago. I don't think Mrs. Wilkinson has aged at all. She looks just the same as she did 10 years ago. It has been my observance over the years that some teachers as they get older also get cranky, negative and just downright mean. They don't seem to care anymore. Mrs. Wilkinson isn't like that. She is still firm, soft spoken, unbelievably patient and in control all the time. I wish she would take charge at our house. It is never loud in her classroom. Everyone uses their "inside voices" which are pretty quiet. Everyone gets along, and does what is expected. And, if anyone starts to get a little loud, Mrs. Wilkinson says,"give yourself a pat on the back if you are quietly doing your work". That actually works in her class!!! The kids quiet down, and everyone goes back to work. Amazing.

Abby loves Mrs. Wilkinson. She makes her little pictures and gives them to her. I know a lot of girls love their teachers, and give them little gifts, but for Abby to do it, and to love her teacher says a lot about the teacher.

Mrs. Wilkinson never seems to be tired or exasperated, and believe me, there are kids that would drive me nuts in a minute! I know she isn't their mom, and that we, the parents always see the worst behavior in our kids at home. But, even if they do show that behavior at school, it is dealt with quickly and never excused. She treats the kids with respect and loves those kids that aren't so lovable all the time, like mine. I am thankful that Abby has a teacher that is reinforcing the behavior we expect, along with the values even in the public school.

So, thank you Mrs. Wilkinson (said with my "inside voice")

No comments:

Post a Comment