Saturday, January 9, 2010

Double times 2

Today we got to have fun with the little Brown twins. I watched them play with our twins and said to Tim,"wow, what a stark contrast of the 2 adoptions, " to which Gabe replied, "Mom, it's like we're quadruplets!" I love his perspective. I see 2 sets of twins born under very different circumstances, worlds apart,lives in jeopardy,black and white, Ethiopian and American. He sees the kinship he shares with these little babies because of adoption.

My perspective has certainly changed on so many things since our adoption of our twins 6 years ago. I really knew no one who chose to adopt kids that hadn't faced infertility issues. Now, we're surrounded, especially at our church, but even in our extended family, by families who have chosen to adopt for a variety of reasons, but mainly, because God placed the desire on their hearts, and they chose to obey Him despite all the obstacles of adopting children from across the world or right in their own town.

One thing that comes to mind over and over as we deal with our own kids "adoptive issues", is how grateful I am that God brought them into our family. I can't imagine what our lives would be like without them, and I don't want to imagine what their lives would be like if they had stayed in the situation to which they were born. But, God knew all along His plans for us, before we even knew about our twins, before we had ever even considered adoption, before we had ever even had one child, even when we had decided that we weren't going to have ANY children, He knew. He knew which children He was going to place into our family, by birth and by adoption. He knew these children before they were ever conceived.

Adoption is God's idea. In fact, the Bible says,"He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved" Eph.1:4,5.

Lots of people over the years, seeing that we are older parents and not knowing the twins are adopted, ask us,"were they a surprise?" And, I always answer,"Oh yes!" and then, I proceed to tell them our story. I love that my life hasn't turned out the way I planned. How awful that would have been! I love that God has planned my days before they have even happened. I love that I am not the One who is in control. I love that I was not adopted into God's family because of who I am, or what my potential is. Our twins were considered a "special needs adoption". Aren't I a "special needs adoption"? I am high risk. As a sinful human, I have limited potential. I am a sinner through and through. God didn't adopt me because of how great I was going to be, or how much I would prove that I could obey Him, or love Him, or how perfect a Christian I would be. God chose me, because He is God. I had nothing to offer Him, but He has given me everything. Adoption is gift for many of us who are parents, but more importantly, for all of us who are sinners.



2 comments:

  1. And you wonder who taught me how to write? :) This is beautiful mom, and so so true. Thank you for reminding me of how great his love is for us.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete