Sunday, January 31, 2010

Emma

I have been watching "Emma" on Masterpiece theater. Tonight, it went by so quickly; I cried out in frustration that I would not be in the presence of my Dear Mr. Knightly for yet another week! Okay, not really, but man is he good looking, and tonight the way he looked so longingly at Emma...ahhh. Tim watched it with me tonight,and absolutely didn't get it. He critiqued the entire show, "what do they do all day?" "What is this, the upper 5% of the society lives like this, doing nothing but gossiping all day?" I kept shushing him. He's such a guy. He's never even read Jane Austen.The only thing he watches on PBS is war stuff and "The New Yankee Workshop".

I was trying to explain that she was making a social commentary of the day, and as I was laughing at the dialogue, he was looking at me with a dazed look and said,"you find this funny?" He is the king of dry humor, and he didn't get it. Maybe men just can't understand how great Jane is, how lovely she writes, how funny her characters are. I just love, love, love, Jane Austen. I am so thrilled that Northanger Abbey and Persuasion are going to be on as well. I need to find my novels and read them again, maybe swoon a little on my fainting couch and drink some sherry to revive me. I was definitely born in the wrong era and station in life.

1 comment: