Thursday, January 28, 2010

First grade readers

Gabe and Abby bring home books to read to us every night. Abby is reading fluently now, and Gabe is doing really well. It is so amazing to me that he is reading as well as he is. He had no interest in kindergarten at all. In fact, he was pretty much a blank slate starting first grade, and only knew 5 sight words. Tonight, he read a book to me about sea creatures. Abby read an entire book of nursery rhymes, not just the ones you remember, but ones I had never heard of. It was kind of funny, one of the well known ones was "this little piggy". She read it to me while I grabbed her toes. She had no idea why I was doing that, and thought the rhyme was strange. I guess if you don't play,"this little piggy" in 4 or 5 years with your kid, they don't remember ever doing it. She was fascinated with it once I told her that I used to do that to her as a baby and then tickle her. She wanted to do it over and over. I guess even a little 6 year old wants to go back to the "good ole' days".

Tomorrow, Gabe and Abby have Crazy Fun day at school. They can wear pajamas, or a silly hat or hairstyle, but Abby told me they couldn't wear noodle strap pajamas. I asked her what that meant, and she said, "you know, no noodle straps". I said,"you mean spaghetti straps?" And, she said, "oh yeah, that's what they're called".

No comments:

Post a Comment